Impact of COVID-19 on bus pass production

COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the application process for National Entitlement Cards (NEC), as it has with many other aspects of daily life.

Card production is operating as normal, however the application process for a NEC is the responsibility of local authorities and Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) in some areas.

At present, operation of non-essential offices is restricted and many local services, such as libraries, community centres and council offices where requests for renewals/replacements and applications for new cards would normally be made, remain closed. This is to maintain the safety of cardholders, applicants and staff in these exceptional circumstances.

How can I apply for a new card

Local authorities and SPT are working hard to reinstate the application process as quickly and safely as possible. Some authorities are offering alternative ways to apply, however this is dependent on which services are available in each area.

If you would like to apply for a NEC, please contact your local authority who can advise of the current application process in your area. As many staff continue to work remotely, we recommend contacting them by email.

Please be aware that, with ongoing physical distancing restrictions and high demand for local authority services, it may take longer than normal for your application to be processed.

The Post Office is now accepting 60+ applications in the SPT area and other areas where this service is normally offered.

Online applications

From 14 July 2020, the Improvement Service launched, which is a new service allowing people to apply for and manage their NEC online. It means applications can be submitted and verified online, without any requirement for an appointment in person.

The first phase of the rollout will support online applications for those aged 60+, and further phases planned over the next few months will support applications for the disabled persons and young persons schemes, as well as offering other new features.

You can find out if your local authority offers this online service by checking or reading through the Improvement Service’s information leaflet.

Contact Us

To enquire about a new card application or request a renewal or replacement please contact your local authority.

For enquiries about the NEC or visit or contact

For more information on the National Concessionary Travel Scheme contact us by emailing

Read the latest on coronavirus (COVID-19)