Peter Brett Associates LLP (PBA) was commissioned by Transport Scotland (TS) to develop a Stage 1 Evaluation of the re-opening of the Borders Railway. The aim of a Stage 1 Evaluation is to provide a high level assessment of the extent to which the project is on track to reach its investment objectives. To inform the development of the Stage 1 Evaluation a primary data collection exercise was completed comprising:
- an on-train survey of users of the Borders Railway; and
- a telephone survey of non and one-off users of the Borders Railway based within the Scottish Borders and Midlothian.
In addition, a number of secondary data analysis tasks were undertaken including a review of ticket sales and passenger count data and an analysis of public transport accessibility. The purpose of this report is to set out the overall findings from the study. The document includes a detailed discussion of the research approach as well as a summary of the key findings from both the primary and secondary research.
The report is structured as follows:
- Chapter 2: provides a brief overview of the Borders Railway and the context for the study
- Chapter 3: discusses the methodological approach to the research and provides a summary of the achieved response for each survey
- Chapter 4: summarises the results of the research in the context of the Investment Objectives for the Borders Railway
- Chapter 5: provides an overview of the survey responses received from tourists using the Borders Railway
- Chapter 6: discusses passenger views on the service and the barriers to use amongst non and one-off users of the railway