CORPORATE AND BUSINESS PLANNING
Corporate and Business Planning
Approval of the Corporate Plan by the Scottish Ministers constitutes the high level authority for the Chief Executive to conduct the operations of Transport Scotland during the Plan period, while taking account of Scottish Ministers' day to day oversight of Transport Scotland's work. It forms the basis against which Transport Scotland's performance will be judged during that period.
The Chief Executive will prepare and submit for approval to the Scottish Ministers a Corporate Plan. Plans will normally cover a period of 3 years. The Corporate Plan will set out Transport Scotland's strategic aims, objectives and targets; high level performance indicators; and give an overview of how it will deliver these over the Plan period in line with the Scottish Government's purpose, strategic objectives and national outcomes set out in the National Performance Framework. It will also contain Transport Scotland's policy statements on resource management (including Efficient Government) and other corporate issues such as equalities and information management.
Annual Business Planning
Approval of the Annual Business Plan by the Scottish Ministers constitutes the authority for the Chief Executive to conduct the operations of Transport Scotland during that year. It forms the basis against which Transport Scotland's performance will be judged for the Plan period but does not constrain Scottish Ministers' day to day oversight of the work of Transport Scotland.
Exceptionally, if policy or circumstances change significantly in the course of the year, the Scottish Ministers or the Chief Executive may propose revisions to the Annual Business Plan, including changes to key targets and financial resources. Any revisions will be decided by the Scottish Ministers after consultation with the Chief Executive.
By 1 April (normally) each year the Chief Executive will prepare and submit for approval to the Scottish Ministers an Annual Business Plan. It will set out:
- The year's business targets, milestones and performance indicators required for Transport Scotland to deliver the objectives set out in the Corporate Plan.
- Any additional activity agreed by the Scottish Ministers which Transport Scotland must deliver during the Business Plan period, subsequent to publication of the Corporate Plan; or other changes which influence Transport Scotland's ability to deliver.
- Proposed administration costs requirement for Transport Scotland.
- Proposed current expenditure requirements.
- Proposed capital investment programmes.
- Any additional information which Scottish Ministers require.
The Corporate Plan and Annual Business Plan may be combined.
The Corporate Plan and Annual Business Plan will be published and copies placed in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre.