Average speed camera devices on the A9: EIR release
Can you advise me of the following information relating to the A9 Average Speed Cameras:
- Is each monitored segment between adjacent cameras (i.e. Camera 1 to Camera 2, Camera 2 to Camera 3, etc) or are some segments a span of greater length (i.e. Camera 1 to Camera 4 or 5 etc).
- Communication - clearly each camera station has to communicate back to a central server in order to compare passing times. Is this communication by fixed landline (copper or fibre) or is a radio link used, such as GSM or a satellite link?
- Field of view - What is the camera field of view angle?
- Ancillary Equipment - What ancillary equipment is installed in addition to the main camera? I.e. Lighting, other sensors etc. For this equipment, what is the power and frequency of any emissions?
- Parallel routes - If a motorist passes a camera, leaves the A9 onto a parallel route and re-joins the A9 at a later stage, and in that time completes the distance in such a time as to have a calculated average speed in excess of 60mph, how can it be proven where the offence occurred?
- Dual Carriageway - Are there plans to monitor the dual carriageway sections, existing and/or future, with average speed cameras?
Full response and associated documentation available at: