Cost of running Shetland/Orkney lifeline ferries: FOI release
The following information:-
- Is the PFI with RBS for the ferries for 25 or 30 years?
- Is there a mid-point review/escape clause built into the agreement?
- If PFI is for 25/30 years is there any provision for replacing current ferries (30 years is a very long life in modern shipping terms)?
- Are we correct that at the end of the PFI the ferries remain the property of RBS?
- How much does each ferry cost the Scottish Govt.to run each year?
- Is amount paid in 5. above included in the annual figure put out by Scottish Govt?
- How much has been paid out in PFI charges to date?
- Who arranges/controls leasing with the operator and whaat part, if any, does the Scottish Govt. play in this?
On 24 July 2017 you clarified by e-mail exchange that you wish to know how much the Scottish Government pays out each year to run our life-line services and does that figure include the annual charge for the PFI or is that accounted for separately?
Full response and associated documentation available at: