Information for developers
Transport Scotland encourages pre-application discussions. Effective engagement can lead to a more efficient planning application process with shorter timescales and more effective use of resources for all parties.
We encourage applicants, their consultants and planning authorities to discuss their proposals with us as at the earliest opportunity and whenever a query arises. This allows a shared understanding of the nature of the proposed development in the first instance.
When planning permission has been granted by the Local Authority, developers must then follow a clear process to agree the detail of any proposed changes to the trunk road network and gain appropriate permission to carry out the work.
Please note that this process can take a considerable period of time to conclude, but equally can be subject to some change dependent on the nature and scale of the development being brought forward. It is important that early contact is made with us to enable early discussion on requirements and likely timeframes.
To find the point of contact in Transport Scotland please ring us on 0141 272 7100 and ask to speak to the Area Manager for the trunk road that you propose to work on.
Procedure and steps needed to achieve the necessary approvals
- Contact us to provide contact details, establish Transport Scotland project sponsor and name of the relevant Operating Company, and have early discussion on timeline for project.
- Review details relating to letter of undertaking, minute of agreement, and bond. Complete letter of undertaking and return to Transport Scotland. (See documents below)
- Confirm that F10 has been issued to HSE (as required) and supply copy to Transport Scotland.
- Submit design drawings to Transport Scotland and confirm the requirement for any departures. Departures to be submitted to Transport Scotland as required.
Departures from Standard - Advice and Procedures Guide
- Ensure that stage 1 and 2 road safety audits are completed, and all findings are suitably addressed. Note Transport Scotland will act as the project sponsor for this process.
- Obtain technical approval from Transport Scotland. Please note that the responsibility for the design and compliance with required standards rests with the developer.
- Submit signed Minute of Agreement for Transport Scotland signature and 'original' Bond along with all necessary consents.
Road Construction Consent
- Obtain Transport Scotland approval for proposed contractors
- Submit and receive approval for TM plans and Construction Phase Plans from Transport Scotland / Operating Company.