The Scottish Government has put in place financial support packages that will help bus operators to maintain and increase essential services as we move through the COVID-19 Route Map.
COVID-19 Support Grant (CSG)
This grant maintains the National Concessionary Travel Scheme (NCTS) reimbursement and Bus Service Operators Grant (BSOG) payments at the levels forecast prior to the impact of COVID-19.
How the grant works
All eligible operators were contacted in April/May and those who agreed to the grant terms are receiving payments.
Payments are being made to operators on a monthly basis and individual operator’s payments are based on:
- the estimated level of NCTS lost due to COVID-19; plus
- the pre-COVID expected level of BSOG
The grant terms require operators to:
- continue to deliver around 30% (25-35%) of bus service levels for the period of the scheme to maintain core services (unless otherwise agreed with Transport Scotland); and
- continue engagement with relevant local authorities and health boards to determine what bus services should be operated, when and on which routes.
The grant was initially put in place for a three month period with a review planned for June but with physical distancing requirements continuing it is being maintained for the time being and supplemented with additional funding (COVID-19 Support Grant - Restart) to enable services to be extended as Scotland moves out of lockdown.
COVID-19 Support Grant - Restart (CSG-R)
The Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Connectivity and Infrastructure Michael Matheson announced on 19 June that an additional £46.7 million is being made available to support bus operators to increase bus services over the eight week period of 22 June to 16 August 2020.
COVID-19 Support Grant - Restart (CSG-R) will cover the gap between costs and the anticipated loss of fare-paying passenger revenue that bus operators will experience due to physical distancing and reduced carrying capacity.
How the grant works
All eligible operators were contacted in June. Those who agree to the grant terms, through a Public Service Contract, will receive payments as follows:
- a one off payment (on a cost per bus basis) which will help operators bring their bus fleet back into operation in order to increase service levels; and
- a standard rate per forecast live kilometres, paid to operators every 4 weeks.
A detailed financial reconciliation will take place beyond the initial 8 week period of this grant that will reconcile payments received by operators to actual expenditure incurred and income received. At this point under and over-payments will be calculated and additional payments made or excess payments recovered by Transport Scotland.
For enquires about any of the COVID-19 Support Grants please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.