Under section 130 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) an Undertaker executing street works must when reinstating the street comply with whatever specification may be prescribed for materials to be used and standards of workmanship to be observed. The Undertaker must also ensure that the reinstatement conforms to prescribed performance standards - in the case of an interim reinstatement, until a permanent reinstatement is effected, and, in the case of a permanent reinstatement, for the prescribed period after completion of the reinstatement.
The Scottish Ministers have approved this Code under powers to issue codes of practice under section 130 of the NRSWA.
The Code incorporates the requirements set out in the following regulations:
- The Road Works (Reinstatement) (Scotland) Regulations 1992, SI 1992 No.1674 (S.161);
- The Road Works (Reinstatement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1992, SI 1992 No. 3062 (S.253);
- The Road Works (Reinstatement) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2003, SI 2003 No. 417; and
- The Road Works (Reinstatement) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2003, SI 2003 No. 512.
Road works have been a devolved matter in Scotland and Wales since the promulgation of constitutional changes with effect from 1999.
This edition of the Code of Practice was prepared by a working party of the Roads Authorities and Utilities Committee (Scotland) (RAUC(S)), and was the subject of extensive consultation with interested organisations. On the working party were representatives of Roads Authorities and the Scotland Joint Utilities Group (SJUG). Sections which have changed in this version of the code include:
- Materials to comply with new EN standards
- Reinstatement Edge Preparation
- Cut Back
- Proximity of Reinstatements to Iron Work and other fixed features
- Edge Regularity
- Match of surface in high amenity areas
- Edge treatment at verges
- Manhole covers and frames
- Water presence
- Binder penetration and equivalence
- Alternative reinstatement materials Appendix A9 of the Code
- Modular Paving and use of Natural Materials
- Reinstatement construction thickness; and
- Correcting ambiguities, clarifying and simplifying the text.
This third edition of the Specification for the Reinstatement of Openings in Roads has been approved by The Scottish Ministers for use in Scotland only. The 'Notes for Guidance' section does not form part of the statutory code. This version of the Code of Practice will come into operation on 1 October 2012 and replaces the second edition in Scotland