Rail franchise performance meeting minutes - 12 October 2017


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland
  • Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland
  • Fiona Mackay (FM) Transport Scotland
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail
  • Phil Campbell (PC ) ScotRail


  • Rob Shorthouse (RS) ScotRail

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

All parties confirmed they are content with the previous minute.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

58/16/FM, Rolling stock

AM flagged an issue that may need correcting within the Delay Repay claim system. System gives no option for being unable to board an overcrowded train. SP will research and work to get this remedied. SP informed that SR are in the course of implementing the change on their website. - No further update available, to be provided for next meeting - Action On-going.

06/17/FM, Schedule 13.2 'B' data

AM asked if it would be worthwhile having someone from TS shadow the process for collecting this data in an effort to encourage a more joined appreciation and awareness of source information being provided – Ross Clark has spoken to Andy Miller but has not yet organised anything. - Rollover action as Ross Clark has been on Annual Leave – Action On-going.

23/17/FM, SQUIRE / Service Delivery Performance

AA raised that station litter contamination and on-train posters were two performance improvement plan initiatives where figures have gone the opposite way from desired following the plans introduction. RS will raise this internally in order to analyse why the actions are not having the desired effect. RS passed on feedback to Angus Thom. RS will chase to make sure this feedback is picked up. SR are considering creating an action plan to monitor. No update provided, SP to issue reminder – Action On-going.


AA highlighted that it may be useful to add some feedback into the reporting pack on how well major event planning works for SR. RS agreed that SR will do a case study and produce some feedback following the Scotland v Slovakia international football match. - ASR to discuss with train planning, RS to take lead (once back from annual leave) – Action On-going.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

Several variations are forthcoming on Hull trains, Revolution in Rail and Fares Initiative.

SP informed that he would respond with his comments in regards to variations due to be published on the public register.

4) Franchise Performance and Planning

ScotRail PPM for the period was 94.1%, 1.4% better than target. ScotRail’s PPM was 3.4% better year on year.

The PPM MAA now stands at 91.2% which is on trajectory of achieving 91.7% at Period 9. MAA is currently sitting 0.63% above improvement plan.

All cancellations are below benchmark in all sectors.

The period capacity figure came in at 0.22%, The overall capacity MAA in the period was 0.35%, and remains 0.65% below benchmark of 1.0%.

5) Revenue Collection

Phil Campbell gave an overview of the current position.

DS pointed out that the figures on the delay repay statistics seemed to have been copied from last month and not updated. SP apologised that this was the case and ND confirmed that she would reissue updated. AP – SR

6) Rolling Stock


7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings


8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance


9) Franchise Obligations Overview

CO 30.13 Cycle Spaces (stations and funding arrangements)

It was agreed that there should be a combined approach on the variation going forward. Kathryn Mackay (SR) and Oi Hang Chu (TS) have been in correspondence and to agree detail. KM has provided detail of breakdown of spaces to OHC. OHC to pick up once back from Annual Leave. AP – TS

10) Communications

AA highlighted that the ScotRail app had attracted 25,000 new users in Period 5 and thought a monthly update on new user numbers would be beneficial. SP agreed that this would be possible. AP – SR

DS observed that the Fares Marketing campaign finished in August and wondered if it would be possible for SR to share their evaluation of the campaign with TS. AP - SR

11) AOB

AA noted that in previous years a festive timetable leaflet has been produced. SP confirmed that this was the case. AA commented that TS has not yet had sight of the train plan. SP noted this as a reminder to forward to TS. AP – SR

Young Person’s Scheme – details have been provided to SR and SP is awaiting a response.

Published Date 1 Nov 2017 Type Mode of transport