Rail franchise performance meeting minutes - 16 August 2018


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland
  • Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland
  • Calum Campbell (CC) Transport Scotland
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail  

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

Both parties are content with the previous minute.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

06/17/FM, Schedule 13.2 'B' data

AM asked if it would be worthwhile having someone from TS shadow the process for collecting this data in an effort to encourage a more joined appreciation and awareness of source information being provided – Action Closed.

82/17/FM, Revenue Collection

PC told that he will be rewriting the marketing campaign for Buy Before You Board and will send this to TS following approval – PC updated that phase two of this marketing campaign is aimed to increase intensity with messaging being much more concise. PC will email TS – Action On-going.

01/18/FM, Performance

AM raised one concern in regards to the KPI for cancellations. The overall cancellation MAA in the period was 1.62% and AM highlighted that the cancellation narrative within the report may be inaccurate, clarifying he believes 1.6% is the trigger point for an improvement plan specific to reducing cancellation levels. SR will revisit the figures and ensure these are being reported accurately. SR will provide a more definitive position and update TS accordingly. AM expressed the need for verified data and it was agreed that a Verification Paper shall be created. – Issue has now been resolved – Action Closed.

08/18/FM, Commercial, CO 28.11, ScotRail air-add on fares pilot for Logan Air passengers

SR will provide a report on key findings from the pilot phase. AM noted potential opportunity to promote connectivity with Islands subject to affordability. – Action Closed.


SP informed that he will cost a proposal in regards to AM email on toilet charges at stations. SP reported that SR make £100k per annum by charging. SR will raise internally, consider options and get back to TS. – SP is looking into this and aiming to come back to TS with a proposal – Action On-going.


Enabling gates for barcode was raised, noting a verbal claim by RDG that SR have approved the gate works. AA queried if a variation is required. SP will respond following confirmation from the business – Action Closed.

17/18/FM, Performance

SR will write to TS regarding the potential correlation between fail to stop and cancellations – Action On-going.

17/18/FM, Revenue Collection

SR agreed to share their Ticketless Travel survey with TS. – PC updated that SR will release the first set of data next week and this will be shared with TS – Action On-going.


SA raised a discussion from a previous Contract meeting and enquired if TS could have sight of the up to date SR CO tracker each period. This would be of assistance and alleviate additional work demands for both parties, in particular, in response to the recommendation from TS’s latest internal audit. SR will consider and respond to TS. SP noted SR would be keen to support an improvement of the current process. – AA noted that this was very helpful and both parties agreed they will get into a cycle going forward – Action Closed.


AA asked what assurance TS can get from SR that figures in the reporting pack are correct, emphasising the importance of this in reference to Ministerial quotes and such. SP proposed that TS and SR have a meeting, allowing Gordon Stewart to give TS a walkthrough of how these figures are collated and reported, in turn providing assurance. It was agreed that this would be useful and SR will organise. – SR agreed to report against Franchise Targets – Action Closed.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

Both parties agreed that these are up-to-date.

4) Franchise Performance and Planning


  • ScotRail PPM in Period 4 was 85.5% which is 6.7% adverse to target.
  • The PPM MAA now stands at 88.6% against a Franchise Agreement target of 92.08%.
  • The Donovan Review is now complete and the 20 recommendations now have project managers with sponsoring directors. AA noted that it was positive to see that teams are now in place for all recommendations.
  • The Period Cancellation figures came in at 2.01% and the MAA is now 1.68%.
  • The percentage of seats not provided in Period 4 was 0.19%. The MAA is now 0.47% which is below target of 1.0%.


  • It was discussed that no change has been made on the informed traveller front.
  • AA noted the positive, proactive engagement between ScotRail and RTPs.

5) Revenue Collection

AA noted the positive handling of special events such as the Open and TRNSMT.

6) Rolling Stock

Not discussed.

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

It was highlighted that Delay Repay financials have increased from Period 3 to Period 4. DS noted that there has been a Trespass/Fatality increase and queried if this was related to the school holidays. SR will investigate and report back to TS.  AP – SR

97.31% of passenger services in the timetable were covered during Period 4.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

TS will invite Alan Wardlaw to a future meeting to detail the work being done on SQUIRE.  AP – TS

It was highlighted that in general, both SQUIRE teams should be commended for the work that has went in to improving process and the progress being made.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview


  • CO 17.8, Marking Station platforms – SA flagged that TS have not yet received an implementation proposal from SR. SR will raise internally and update. AP – SR

Safety & Sustainability

  • CO 23.10, Sustainable procurement policy – DS asked SR to update on this. SR will provide.  AP – SR
  • AA noted that Flexipass on Smart in Mobile Web & App went live on 6th June and is generating transactions. AA asked for data on this and SR agreed to provide at the next meeting.  AP – SR
  • SP provided detail on M-Pass ticketing which was introduced as an option for SR’s range of Rover/Travel Pass products from 4 July 2018.
  • In regards to Partnerships & Collaboration, AA noted that SR’s engagement was positive and highlighted that it was good to see SR continuing to focus on Dundee, maximising opportunities.
  • SR thanked SR for providing Stranraer/Dumfries passenger journey data and noted a slight increase, particularly in Stranraer.

10) Communications

Not discussed.

11) Compliance Challenges

Not discussed.

12) AOB


Published Date 3 Sep 2018 Type Mode of transport