Rail Franchise performance meeting minutes - 2 February 2017

Transport Scotland attendees: Andrew Mackie (AM), Donald Smith (DS), Calum Campbell (CC), Allan Anderson (AA)
ScotRail attendees: Sam Price (SP), Nicola Dawson (ND), Rob Shorthouse (RS)

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

14/16/FM, Sentiments on extending the rules of the route. SR to provide an update – Closed.

20/16/FM, AM requested Neil Sutton walk TS through train plan at separate meeting. AM to schedule meeting and provide information on details required to NS – Closed.

24/16/FM, Franchise Performance and Planning - Publication of right time at terminating stations reports needs to be amended. SR will revisit the public reporting of performance / right time. – Closed.

46/16/FM, Rolling stock - more information to be provided in order to clarify why the

availability of several units are below in reference to variance. These were: Haymarket 158 (-1), 314 (-5) and 334 (-6). – Closed.

50/16/FM, TS informed ScotRail that Sarah O’Loughlin has pulled together a

communications planner for the Minister. RS will catch up with Sarah and populate

this. – On-going.

51/16/FM, ScotRail smart ticketing team have reported that robust testing and briefing now complete for SPT Underground smart ticketing initiative RS will search for a potential date to promote this. – Closed.

55/16/FM, Revenue collection - in regards to the 5.7% figure given in the report, DS will email Phil Campbell to clarify what this figure relates to. – Closed.

58/16/FM, Rolling stock - AM flagged an issue that may need correcting within the Delay Repay claim system. System gives no option for being unable to board an

overcrowded train. SP will research and work to get this remedied. – SR are reviewing and updating their policy – On-going.

68/16/FM, AM requested the four-weekly passenger flows out of Edinburgh Gateway. SP will supply. – ND will send by email and this will be featured within the report going forward – Closed.

70/16/FM, AM asked SR to re-send the Event Planning link previously sent, this time stating that it is regularly updated with live information. – AM requested an extra line explaining what is happening. SR will update – On-going.

72/16/FM, SR will provide details of the 2 reported days where there was ‘Any instance of 50% or more of the Passenger Services in the Timetable being the subject of a Cancellation on any day on any line or route or in any Service Group.’ – On-going.

76/16/FM, Engineering, SR member to be invited to next meeting in order to talk through automated passenger count information. – On-going.

80/16/FM, AM queried as to whether the ‘lean’ philosophy is still being operated

throughout the business as it was in Year 1. SP confirmed that this was still very much encouraged where applicable. AM asked if there were any opportunities for TS to tap into training courses. SP will bring any to AM’s attention. – TS interested has been noted with the SR training team, they will alert TS of any opportunities – Closed.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

AM agreed to update SR following a review of where TS see the CO’s to be.

4) Franchise Performance and Planning

Status update on Performance Improvement Plan

PPM for the Period was 89.7% against a target of 89.5%. The MAA improved to 90% which is 1.7% worse than trajectory.

All cancellations remain below benchmark.

5) Revenue Collection

DS noted that all graph outputs which capture the impact made on revenue as a result of revenue protection initiatives indicated encouraging year on year performance.

6) Rolling Stock

In regards to Fleet Availability, everything is above contracted targets.

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

AM highlighted that a noticeable decline in delay repay numbers has connotations of performance improvement.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

9) Franchise Obligations Overview

With the year end in view, SR will organise a separate Obligations meeting in the aim to align SR and TS trackers. AP - SR


CO 27.1, Tourism Ambassadors – AM had a meeting with Cathy Craig. SP will follow up with Cathy to ensure that both parties have the same idea going forward. AP – SR


CO 7.2, Fit auto-door close on all Class 156 vehicles in service – SP assured that this would be picked up following the appointment of Chris Tait’s successor.

Human Resources

CO 24.7, ‘Inspire’ training = 4200 Franchise Employees, +bi-annual refreshers for managers – SR informed TS that this has now started and SR will keep TS updated on the progress.

Programme and Transformation

CO 22.2, Install new TVMs x 126 (100 replacements and 26 new) – SR informed that the Help Point functionality continues to be progressed for units.

10) Communications

RS reported that now smart is technically live for products, SR will be working on announcements.

RS told that he has a meeting schedule with Danny Chalmers to create a combined TS and SR events plan.

11) AOB

Published Date 2 Feb 2017 Type Mode of transport