Rail Franchise performance meeting minutes - 25 May 2017


Andrew Mackie (AM) Transport Scotland

Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland

Calum Campbell (CC) Transport Scotland

Sam Price (SP) ScotRail

Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail


Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland

Rob Shorthouse (RS) ScotRail

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

All attendees agreed they were content with the minute from the previous meeting.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

04/16/FM, CO 6.2 Establish Strategic Rail Delivery Group – TS are content with the proposal put forward by SR as per email of 22nd May 2017. Going forward SR will provide an update in the four weekly report – Action Closed.

08/16/FM, International Rail Summit – Action On-going.

58/16/FM, Rolling stock - AM flagged an issue that may need correcting within the Delay Repay claim system. System gives no option for being unable to board an overcrowded train. SP will research and work to get this remedied. – Action On-going.

87/16/FM, CO 27.1, Tourism Ambassadors – AM had a meeting with Cathy Craig. SP will follow up with Cathy to ensure that both parties have the same idea going forward. – SP reported that this is still progressing internally but he hopes to have an update soon – Action On-going.

93/16/FM, Operations CO 1.1-1.4, Passenger numbers information (Quarterly provision) – Both parties agreed that a separate discussion on this would be worthwhile. – AM thanked ND for the information sent to TS. AM clarified that this would be the official figure TS will share in correspondence. ND confirmed this number post meeting.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

4) Franchise Performance and Planning

Status update on Performance Improvement Plan

PPM MAA stands at 90.4% which is 0.1% ahead of trajectory of achieving 91.7% at Period 9. This follows on from PPM finishing at 93.6%, 0.4% better than target.

AM observed that cancellation figures are bellow benchmark in all sectors.

Overall capacity MAA for the period was 0.4%, remaining 0.6% below benchmark of 1.0%. However, Capacity benchmarks are adverse to benchmark for Express E & G and Express Other.

AM noted that the May 2017 timetable is now in operation which includes Prestwick Town calls being added to some Kilmarnock – Ayr services as well as, Sunday calls added for Nitshill, Priesthill and Kennishead.

5) Revenue Collection

A noticeable increase was highlighted in regards to gates and TVMs, showing a positive trend.

It was agreed that Phil Campbell would be invited to provide a more regular update on work being done. AP – SR

While discussing Schedule 13.2B, AM asked if it would be worthwhile having someone from TS shadow the process for collecting this data in an effort to encourage a more joined appreciation and awareness of source information being provided. AP – TS

6) Rolling Stock

AM highlighted that availability figures across all fleets are within contractual targets.

It was noted it was a positively performing period in regards to delay repay.

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

SR will officially share the Year End CO Report to the TS Franchise team. AP – SR

SP asked if more could be done to align the SR and TS CO trackers. SP will raise this with Sarah Aitken at the next contract meeting.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview


CO 17.7, Colour coded timetables – AM asked if this has been updated for the May timetable change. SR will follow up. AP – SR

CO 34.7, New Homes Marketing Initiative (£50k for free one month season ticket) – DS informed that he had spoken with Cathy Craig who informed him that SR were struggling for uptake on this CO. DS requested a more detailed update and SP agreed to provide. AP – SR

CO 5.1, Introduce Eye Witness Incident reports – DS asked what feedback SR have received from this app. SP informed it has been largely positive and that it seems to be an effective tool. SP reported that the only challenge now is to promote this internally to give it a higher profile.

Human Resources

On the topic of HR, SP highlighted that HR are receiving duplicate and multiple requests for information. DS to work with Paula Somerville to streamline the process and avoid duplication. AP – TS

Safety & Sustainability

CO 23.7, Reduce non-traction energy use – It was discussed that there needs to be a process where the baseline take new introductions into account. SP will raise in the contract meeting if any further detail is needed.

Marketing & Sales

In regards to smart ticketing, It is hoped that there will be an increase in uptake with the introduction of upcoming new products.

Edinburgh Gateway

A slight uplift in passenger journeys in Period 1 was noted.

10) Communications

11) AOB

AM expressed concerns raised by a colleague following a journey from Inverness Station. AM informed that staff held back boarding unnecessarily by manning the gate line and failed to assist passengers actively during boarding. SP ensured that SR will get a report from the local station manager and inform TS of the reasons behind this. AP – SR

AM also raised issues of an unsatisfactory passenger experience at Perth. AM informed that many passengers board busy services while quieter services may be available just a short time later. AM asked if there are any plans to improve the on-platform staff presence to advise passengers on available options.. SP will raise internally and update. AP – SR

Published Date 8 Jun 2017 Type Mode of transport