Rail franchise performance meeting minutes - 25 May 2018


  • Andrew Mackie (AM) Transport Scotland
  • Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland
  • Calum Campbell (CC) Transport Scotland
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

Both parties confirmed they are content with the previous minute.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

06/17/FM, Schedule 13.2 'B' data

AM asked if it would be worthwhile having someone from TS shadow the process for collecting this data in an effort to encourage a more joined appreciation and awareness of source information being provided – Action On-going.


DS observed that the Fares Marketing campaign finished in August and wondered if it would be possible for SR to share their evaluation of the campaign with TS. – ND will send full review to TS via email – Action Closed.

53/17/FM, Customer Experience, CO 34.5, First time traveller assistance programme (x25 employees and £25k per year)

AA informed that it would be useful for TS to have sight of the draft guidebook. SR will provide. – Action On-going.


DS asked if SR could formally inform TS of relevant staff changes within the business. SR will look into this. – Both parties agreed the relevant key contact levels for the handover pack, giving GDPR consideration to the necessary relevant information. SR informed the handover pack would be provided by the end of June and both parties will then arrange a familiarisation session – Action On-going.

DS also requested that details of ScotRail’s interim contacts for Station Projects and Car Parking projects be forwarded to Oi Hang Chu.

68/17/FM, P&T Stations

TS raised the lack of updates on these CO’s. SR will raise this internally. – SR are doing internal working and addressing any issues, educating the business on the importance of the reporting pack in relation to Franchise Management view. SR will continue where necessary. – Action Closed.

74/17/FM, Planning New Trains

A discussion took place regarding c385 alternatives. Concerning external fleet, SR will provide a feasibility assessment to TS when possible. SP will chase for info. – Variation executed – Action Closed.

76/17/FM, Planning, Informed Traveller

AA highlighted that Network Rail have advised they are no longer capable of maintaining T12 on an on-going basis. SP will seek clarification. – Procedures are in place and this will be managed at the Timetable meeting – Action Closed.

81/17/FM, Franchise Variations and changes

SP confirmed he will get back to SA regarding the fares initiative. – It was agreed this will be taken forward as part of the Contract meeting – Action Closed.

84/17/FM, HR

DS advised, at the last HR Quarterly meeting TS raised that the CO’s within the reporting pack were not up-to-date and these have still to be amended. SR assured that his is being worked through and will be updated within the next pack. – ND updated that the HR strategy is now complete, meaning that the HR CO’s can be updated accordingly. ND will send this updated information in due course – Action Closed.

85/17/FM, Planning

It was suggested that the wording of the report could be updated for the section titled, ‘New trains and Revolution in Rail’ – Action Closed.


AA highlighted that, arising from a correspondence case, it has come to TS’s attention that the ticket barriers at Edinburgh Waverley would not accept the promotional Airdrie-Bathgate tickets. The Minister asked that this be changed and the barriers were corrected as of 15:00 on 03 May. SR will provide TS with more background on this issue. – Action Closed.

88/17/FM, Schedule 13.2 – B report

DS highlighted that SPT figures within the report are exactly the same as the previous period. ND agreed to check these figures and update both in relation to the figures and definition of “other earnings” – Action Closed.


DS raised that SR reported the total number of complaints for 2017/18 was 28,956 and asked if SR could provide figures for previous years, giving a comparison. SR will provide. – ND had requested and is awaiting information – Action On-going.

91/17/FM, Human Resources

SR clarified that many HR CO’s are awaiting the revised HR strategy being aligned with the business strategy. SP will speak to John Gillies about this issue. - ND updated that the HR strategy is now complete, meaning that the HR CO’s can be updated accordingly. ND will send this updated information in due course – Action On-going.

92/17/FM, P&T Stations, CO 22.2, Install new TVMs x 126 (100 replacements and 26 new)

SP is keen to learn what is required to get this CO out of a red marking. AA will ask OHC to update. – AM updated that the red grading is due to help-point functionality – Action Closed.


DS raised the possibility of a Veterans Rail Card. TS has written to CD on this several weeks ago and been informed it would likely take several weeks to progress. DS reported that Defence colleagues are now seeking an update. SP will speak with CD and identify what options can be explored – DS requested that SR formally respond to TS on this, allowing TS to update – Action On-going.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes


4) Franchise Performance and Planning


  • The ScotRail PPM stands at 92.2%. ScotRail PPM was 1.57% worse than Period 1 last year.
  • The PPM MAA now stands at 89.3% which is 0.1% below improvement plan.
  • AM noted that the Performance Improvement Plan will be monitored within the established governance cycle on Performance.
  • AM raised one concern in regards to the KPI for cancellations. SR will revisit the figures and ensure these are being reported accurately. SR will provide a more definitive position and update TS accordingly. AM expressed the need for verified data and it was agreed that a Verification Paper shall be created. AP – SR
  • The period capacity figure came in at 0.38%. The overall capacity MAA in the period sat at 0.47% and remains 0.53% below benchmark. AM noted a significant drop in ‘Seats Not Provided %’ on Express Sector E&G.


  • AM highlighted that the introduction of the May Timetable change had been largely positive.

5) Revenue Collection

  • DS noted it continues to be encouraging that TVM reliability is on a consistent trend. The improvement in TVM reliability and booking office coverage has also allowed more staff to be allocated outside of the major stations to key feeder stations during peak times, to support SR’s BBYB policy.
  • It was highlighted that BTP are aware of the tendency for anti-social behaviour to increase on the railway during such periods of good weather as currently being experience and will look to increase presence where possible.
  • Regarding the ‘Schedule 13.2 – B report’, AM highlighted the need to ensure passenger numbers figures are verified for 17/18. SR will write to TS detailing the formal position. AP – SR

6) Rolling Stock

  • Regarding MTIN, the report notes that targets have been set for end of year. SR are below target for the c158 fleet however an internal improvement plan is underway to address these issues.

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

  • It was noted that ‘Unknown Cause’ is the second largest reason for Delay Repay claims. SR will clarify. AP – SR
  • Uncovered trains have reduced by 47% from 910 in Period 13 (2017/18) to 581 in Period 1 (2018/19). This equates to 99.01% of passenger services in the timetable being covered for Period 1.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

  • TS have been cited on the active management proposals to address SQUIRE issues, which are being conducted over all areas of the SR business.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview


CO 32.6, Nexus Alpha live disruption tool on website and mobile app – Regarding the SR app, AM raised that SR are removing the messaging notification from the app, leading to some negativity on social media streams. AM noted that this is not a contracted obligation but queried the reasoning behind the change. SP will query internally and update. AP – SR


CO 9.1, Wi-Fi availability on all trains – it was noted that this CO is in a positive position with all existing SR fleets, with the exception of c314’s, being enabled with Wi-Fi by May 18.

Finance, IT and Procurement

CO 17.3, Not Spot Solutions – SR are only to enhance the signal strength at Glasgow and Edinburgh. Permissions are being sought with NR and brackets being built.

P&T Stations

CO 15.1, Inverness station improvements business case (CO 15.10) – business case has now been submitted to TS.

Marketing & Sales

Period 1 saw 9.3% of all passenger journeys being made on ITSO Smartcards.

Stranraer Dumfries Passenger Journey Data 2018

AM highlighted that passenger numbers appear to have dropped. Both parties agreed to review the output of Timetable interventions later in the year, when appropriate.

10) Communications


11) AOB

  • AM raised the importance of TS receiving the reporting pack earlier, formally noting Schedule 1, clause 8.4:
  • “No later than the 5th business day prior to each Franchise Performance meeting, the Franchisee shall provide to the Authority in accordance with any guidance the Authority may issue to the Franchisee from time to time, a report detailing the Franchisee’s performance with respect to the items referred to in paragraphs 8.3(b) to (l) inclusive and paragraph 8.3(o) to (s) (if appropriate).”
  • SR were receptive, giving apologies for the lateness of the current report, citing short notice resource shortage.
  • SP raised that there is some duplication between the Franchise Performance meeting other forums, suggesting the need to agree a way forward for handling such issues. It was agreed that issues and obligations should be handled within routine meetings and only enter the Franchise Performance when they require to be escalated. In these instances, TS will provide SR with one week notice.
  • AM raised that TS were had become aware that a driver from Mallaig was set to retire in September, and noted the importance of ScotRail’s normal succession planning in these circumstances.

The next Franchise Performance Quarterly will take place on 19 June 2018.


Published Date 7 Jun 2018 Type Mode of transport