Rail Franchise performance meeting minutes - 27 April 2017


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland
  • Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland
  • Calum Campbell (CC) Transport Scotland
  • Louise Smith (LS) Transport Scotland
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Rob Shorthouse (RS) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail
  • Graeme Gordon (GG) ScotRail

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

All attendees agreed they were content with the minute from the previous meeting.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

  • 04/16/FM, CO 6.2 Establish Strategic Rail Delivery Group – Scott’s proposal is now sitting with SP for approval – On-going.
  • 08/16/FM, International Rail Summit – On-going.
  • 39/16/FM, Second member of staff on trains – ScotRail to provide detail as part of this exercise on demonstrating their performance against contract provisions. – On-going.
  • 50/16/FM, TS informed ScotRail that Sarah O’Loughlin has pulled together a communications planner for the Minister. RS will catch up with Sarah and populate this. – On-going.
  • 58/16/FM, Rolling stock - AM flagged an issue that may need correcting within the Delay Repay claim system. System gives no option for being unable to board an
  • overcrowded train. SP will research and work to get this remedied. – SP will follow this up and then confirm when changes are set to be made to the website – On-going.
  • 101/16/FM, P&T Smart Ticketing & New Trains CO 29.19, Rail and Sail Pilot – SA informed that TS and SR need to agree the COPA for this new CO. SA will discuss with Andrew Mackie and ensure that this gets closed out. – Closed.
  • 102/16/FM, Human Resources SP reported that Alan Wardlaw had made SR aware of ticket office closures. SP informed that SR will work on this and Jacqui Taggart will be writing back to TS. – TS acknowledged the mitigation efforts provided by SR and the task now is to maintain these – On-going.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

SA advised that the CO 2 variation is almost complete and a final draft has been issued to SP for agreement.

4) Franchise Performance and Planning

Status update on Performance Improvement Plan

  • PPM MAA stands at 90.3%, The past 5 periods’ results have been an improvement on the equivalent time last year.
  • The PPM MAA now stands at 90.3% which is 1.7% adverse to trajectory of achieving 92.0% at year end.
  • AA noted that cancellation figures are below benchmark in all sectors.
  • AA informed that performance continues to be sound and that TS are content with the current Performance Improvement Plan initiatives and success.
  • SP raised the topic of the ‘step’ PPM MAA issue. AA informed that Alan Pilbeam has put forward a proposal and Andrew Mackie has written formally agreeing to a revised version of this.
  • AA flagged an error within SR’s weekly communications update that is sent to TS although there was no issue with the press release itself. RS ensured he would feedback on this point.
  • AA asked SP to pass his thanks on to Dave Smith and his team for the very useful Special events information they have supplied.
  • SP raised that a follow up meeting would be useful to analyse the success of the special events planning for the rugby.

5) Revenue Collection

  • It was noted that there has been positive increases in regards to revenue collection performance.
  • SP noted that this is notwithstanding the concerns raised by TS regarding ticket office closures and the actions agreed in respect of these.

6) Rolling Stock

In regards to Section 6.3 Schedule 13.2, AA reported that the TS rolling stock team were content that variance for availability was within target.

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

  • General discussion took place around trends regarding the financial and delay repay report.
  • AA noted that Section 6.4 ScotRail Complaints per 100k Journey data was steady, reflecting signs of improvement.
  • AA raised that one slight concern was the small increase in uncovered turns and trains. SP stated that SR have been encouraging to look at the long term trends however, assured that the need to monitor this was not lost on SR.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

  • It was discussed that the small tweaks made to the SQUIRE regime are now in place for Period 1.
  • A SQUIRE Investment Fund discussion is scheduled to take place following this Franchise Performance meeting.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview

Marketing & Sales

  • A Smart ticketing meeting is taking place next week, Wednesday 3rd May.
  • AA raised that the Flying Scotsman is due to run again on 14th May and flagged as a potential issue. SP reported SR have sight of this and that operational planning will take place.

10) Communications

11) AOB

Published Date 10 May 2017 Type Mode of transport