Rail Franchise performance meeting minutes - 28 July 2016

Transport Scotland attendees: Andrew Mackie (AM), Calum Campbell (CC), Donald Smith (DS)
ScotRail attendees: Sam Price (SP), WIllie Marshall (WM), Rob Shorthouse (RS)
Transport Scotland apologies: Paula Somerville, Agnes McKeever, Sarah Aitken

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

  • Passenger Number information – This action is being pursued separately by Elaine Jack and Ross Clark.
  • Smartcards for Franchise Team –SR will have these for the next meeting. Method of reimbursement to be agreed. AP – SR
  • Contractual targets & regulatory target – SR reported that the website page has now been updated to reflect the Franchise targets and that future reporting will also detail these targets.
  • Schedule 13.1, Quality Plan and Quality Reports - DS will speak to AM about the paper sent at the end of the franchise year and a future discussion can be set up to cover this off.
  • Schedule 15, Passenger count technology – TS will contact Cameron Legg directly about this. AP – TS
  • Schedule 13.4, Living Wage logo – SR reported that they are currently getting the mock ups done.
  • Delay/Repay tables –It was agreed that it would be preferable to include some narrative and conclusions. AP – SR
  • Revenue Collection Performance of the Franchise Report – Action Closed.
  • SR asked to see the CO tracker for Year two. TS will send this Compliance Management report to SR. AP – TS
  • Tram connection opportunity from either Edinburgh Gateway or Edinburgh Park – This will be an extension of an existing scheme – Action Closed.
  • CO 24.1, Investor in People (Gold) – SR are preparing evidence on this that will hopefully be available in the next week or so. AP – SR
  • Changes to Quarterly dates – Action Closed.
  • On capacity provision, overall metric is on or better than target.
  • SR to provide a copy of the August train plan at least 3 weeks before it is implemented AP – SR
  • Highland mainline early morning services – Action Closed.
  • TS asked SR to look at the implications of amended EGIP milestones on timetable changes and fleet cascade – Action Closed.
  • Revenue Protection, DS asked SR to provide more commentary in the report – Action Closed.
  • DS noted that 0 is recorded in the Total Price Promise Claims Accepted and Total Price Promise Compensation columns in the Franchise Report and to check if this is accurate. SP will take this forward – Action Closed.
  • SR to provide the Handover Package– It was agreed this should be updated working to railway periods rather than contract times – Action Closed.
  • CO 20.3, Brand tracking study - ScotRail to provide details.
  • CO 17.7, Colour coded timetables – SP will send update to TS. AP – SR
  • CO 16.1, Customer Experience Delivery Group – Another meeting is now in the diary – Action Closed.
  • CO 24.11, Learning and Development certificate – SP will email TS clarification point and both parties will then work this through. AP – SR / TS
  • Franchise facilities book to be added as an agenda item at the Franchise Performance meeting in September. AP – TS
  • SA issued a variation regarding Gateway to SR last week. SP will action this – Action Closed.
  • Berwick – SR has raised a potential deadline extension. AM will check with SA – It was agreed that this item should be moved to the Contract Meeting with SA – Action Closed.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

  • SR have closed out the recent variation. AM will speak to Sarah Aitken about this. AP - TS

4) Franchise Performance and Planning

  • Performance for Period 3 was 90.3%, which is 2.7% behind target. The PPM MAA now stands at 90.1% which is 0.2% adverse to target.
  • Cancellations are below benchmark in all sectors.
  • Capacity benchmarks are adverse to benchmark, for Express E & G and Express Other.

5) Revenue Collection

  • TS commented that SR commentary was very helpful and they would like to keep this going forward.

6) Rolling Stock

  • WM informed that the new Fleet Introduction Managers are putting a lessons learned exercise in place.
  • WM has asked Network Rail and Route Scotland for a plan and timescale that will allow gauging engineers to agree phases in moving towards a permanent certificate.
  • For the wider Phase 1 there are around 30 sites that need tampered as they currently have faults. If these are amended then SR will be able to run full service.

Schedule 13.2

  • TS have not yet received information in regards to the inter-year timetable change. SR will try to pick this up. AP – SR
  • SP will gain clarity on Delay Repay during strike action and update DS. AP – SR

Section 6.2

  • 1.4, Fit auto door close on Class 156 vehicles – DS will flag this to George and Dougie to take forward with Chris Tait at the Rolling Stock meeting. AP – TS

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

  • Discussed at the Finance meeting.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

  • The Remedial Action Plans schedule 24 and 27 have been provided and discussed at the SQUIRE workshop. The report can now be changed to reflect this.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview

Business Development

  • 6.2, Establish Strategic Rail Delivery Group – An interim arrangement was agreed in January. SR will provide an audit trail as requested by AM. AP – SR
  • Both parties agreed that, going forward, a permanent position needs to be agreed. TS and SR will meet on this following returns from annual leave. AP – TS/SR


  • 34.6, A9 dualling marketing strategy – DS asked if SR have been in contact with relevant TS staff regarding this. SP confirmed that they have. It was agreed that this may be worth picking up again and that DS would raise when meeting with ScotRail at the Fares and Marketing meeting next week. AP – TS

Finance, IT & Procurement

  • 17.3, Not Spot Solutions – Oi Hang Chu is waiting on an update from SR. AP – SR

Human Resources

  • 24.18, Training for Scottish prisoners (2 per year)/5 work placements – SR are due a response back from TS in regards to this. AM will speak to Sarah Aitken. AP – TS
  • 3.5 (Part B), Achieve ‘Times 100’ accreditation – SR advised that they are not eligible for this due to the size of the organisation and are therefore looking into alternatives. AP – SR

Programme & Transformation

  • 29.4, New ITSO capable handheld ticket validation machines for on-train – The date for this has now been amended. Scottish Stations fund will cover Stirling, Aberdeen and Inverness.

Safety & Sustainability

  • 23.1, Environmental management systems accredited to ISO14001 and recertified every two years – SR reported that they are largely on track for Level 3. SP will share document with TS to see if it suffices for using all reasonable endeavours. AP – SR
  • 5.9, SMS compliant with Railway Management Maturity Model – SP queried, on David’s behalf, who at TS he should liaise with. SP will tell David to write to Sarah Aitken. AP - SR

10) Communications

  • It was agreed that cycling needs more exposure.
  • TS will feed options through the communications team.
  • AM informed that there is a push from the Scottish Government to cross work across directorates.

11) AOB

  • SP will be giving Gary a call regarding legal position.

Published Date 28 Jul 2016 Type Mode of transport