Rail franchise performance meeting minutes - 28 June 2018


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Donald Smith (DS) Transport Scotland
  • Sarah Aitken (SA) Transport Scotland
  • Hilary Cameron (HC) Transport Scotland
  • Calum Campbell (CC) Transport Scotland
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail

1) Minutes of Previous Meeting

  • Both parties confirmed they are content with the previous minute.

2) Actions Arising from Previous Meeting

90/16/FM, Rolling stock

  • AT requested that, due to the delay in arrival, a Year 3 target for the combined fleet now be considered. AM confirmed that this seemed a reasonable solution, suggesting that SR come back to TS with a formal proposal. Both parties agreed. – Action On-Hold.

06/17/FM, Schedule 13.2 'B' data

  • AM asked if it would be worthwhile having someone from TS shadow the process for collecting this data in an effort to encourage a more joined appreciation and awareness of source information being provided – Action On-going.

53/17/FM, Customer Experience, CO 34.5, First time traveller assistance programme (x25 employees and £25k per year)

  • AA informed that it would be useful for TS to have sight of the draft guidebook. SR will provide. – SR will share videos from website once these are available – Action On-going.


  • DS asked if SR could formally inform TS of relevant staff changes within the business. SR will look into this. – SR confirmed that the next issue of the handover pack will be up-to-date – Action On-going.


  • DS raised that SR reported the total number of complaints for 2017/18 was 28,956 and asked if SR could provide figures for previous years, giving a comparison. SR will provide. – Action Closed.

91/17/FM, Human Resources

  • SR clarified that many HR CO’s are awaiting the revised HR strategy being aligned with the business strategy. SP will speak to John Gillies about this issue. – TS have now had sight of the HR Strategy and will review – Action On-going.


  • SP highlighted that SR need to report back to TS on KPI’s, such as Off-Peak Patronage, and suggested that these be monitored through the Franchise Performance report going forward. – SR will aim to have periodic reporting in pack for the next meeting – Action On-going.


  • AM raised that TS used to receive a file including Revenue and Journey data as part of the Financial reporting pack but no longer get sight of this. TS will send a version to SR and ND will enquire. – This is being reinstated – Action Closed.


  • It was noted that ‘Unknown Cause’ is the second largest reason for Delay Repay claims. SR will clarify. – SR are currently working on this issue – Action On-going.

06/18/FM, Business Development, CO 5.1, Service Development Statement on future SLC demands (15 months from PCD)

  • AM raised that this is an area of compliance that needs to be formalised via existing forums. – Action On-going.

07/18/FM, Commercial, CO 32.6, Nexus Alpha live disruption tool on website and mobile app

  • Regarding the SR app, AM raised that SR are removing the messaging notification from the app, leading to some negativity on social media streams. AM noted that this is not a contracted obligation but queried the reasoning behind the change. SP will query internally and update. – SR informed there has not been many adverse complaints. Other options for notifications are available and SR are also planning to extend their social media team – Action Closed.

09/18/FM, Commercial, CO 34.7, New Homes Marketing Initiative (£50k for free one month season ticket)

  • SP will ask JL to provide an update. – SP reported that investment opportunities are being looked at. DS requested more information on how this is being taken forward – Action On-going.

3) Franchise Variations and Changes

  • It was agreed that this will be discussed at the upcoming Contract Meeting w/c 9th July.

4) Franchise Performance and Planning


  • The ScotRail PPM stands at 91.5% which is 0.7% averse to target. ScotRail PPM was 0.18% worse than Period 2 of the year previous.
  • The PPM MAA now stands at 89.3% which is 0.17% behind the period target of 89.5%.
  • AA noted concern that poor performing days are negatively impacting the MAA. Discussion took place about the Glasgow and Rutherglen OLE trips.
  • It was confirmed that TS have received SR’s letter on PPM and benchmarks and will response within the next week. AP – TS
  • The Period Cancellation figure came in at 1.52% and the MAA is now 1.49%. Although the overall Cancellation level is better than benchmark, SR are now worse than benchmark for Suburban East. AA highlighted that this has entered PIP territory.
  • The Period Capacity figure came in at 0.45%. The overall Capacity MAA in the Period sat at 0.48%, and remains 0.52% below benchmark of 1.0%. AA noted TS are pleased to see Capacity coming in below benchmark. It was discussed that the impact of the Class 365 introduction will begin to flow through these statistics in a few Periods.


  • It was noted that both parties will keep their attention on customer feedback to the removal of the 19:26 Glasgow – Anniesland service.
  • AA highlighted that rolling stock is very much a moving picture and was pleased to note the additional services being run for the TRNSMT festival and Open in the near future.
  • AA raised that the Edinburgh Festival does remain a concern in regards to Fife and Borders. SR are aware and looking at all available options.

5) Revenue Collection

  • AA praised the success of multi-agency exercises carried out during the period to tackle anti-social behaviour.
  • TVM reliability and booking office coverage is continuing to improve.
  • DS confirmed that it now looks as though all figures are correct and as expected.
  • AA raised that smart uptake has not increased as predicted after promotion and the reasons for this need to be understood. SR confirmed this is currently being worked on.

6) Rolling Stock

  • Overall the SR fleet was adverse to plan for MTIN performance in Period 2 by 1,372 miles per technical incident. AA queried if SR knew the impact of this on overall performance. SR will feedback. AP – SR

7) Financial Obligations and Undertakings

  • Complaints per 100k journeys came in at 23.6. This is lower than recent months.
  • In Period 2, uncovered trains have increased by 35% from Period 1 and by 8% compared to Period 2 of the year previous. This equates to 98.5% of passenger services in the timetable being covered for Period 2. AA stated a slight concern of this increase but appreciated the commentary provided explaining the trend.

8) SQUIRE/Service Delivery Performance

  • AA informed he was pleased to see an improvement in train weather and wind proofing.
  • It was confirmed that plans for CCTV and security have been received by TS.
  • AA noted the proactive changes made in SQUIRE management.

9) Franchise Obligations Overview

  • AA asked if SR are now confident with the accuracy of this information. SP reported that while this cannot be guaranteed due to the volume of info collated, SR are certainly working hard to ensure accuracy and improve the efficiency of this process. AA added that TS are also working to improved their internal process of cross checking the CO updates within the report and will raise any discrepancies found with SR.

10) Communications

Marketing & Sales

  • The mobile app was downloaded 18,539 times during Period 2, meaning it has been downloaded 467,898 times since launch at the end of March 2017.

11) Compliance Challenges

  • The new challenge process was explained and TS issued SR with the new challenges:

12) AOB

  • -

Published Date 12 Jul 2018 Type Mode of transport