Our vision is for a sustainable, inclusive and accessible transport system helping to deliver a healthier, fairer and more prosperous Scotland for communities, businesses and visitors.
The National Transport Strategy (NTS2) consultation has now concluded. We would like to thank all individuals and organisations for their contributions – your views will help to shape the final version of the strategy, which will be published online on Thursday 30 January 2020.
The Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 now makes it a statutory requirement for Scottish Ministers to establish a national transport strategy for Scotland and to publish the national transport strategy and lay a copy before Parliament.
The Act places consultation at the centre of the strategy’s development by requiring the Scottish Ministers to consult with appropriate persons as well as the general public. Scottish Ministers are also required to publish a report outlining how the consultation process was undertaken and the ways in which consultation responses were incorporated as part of the strategy’s preparation and development. This report will be published alongside the final version of the strategy.
A total of 1,221 responses were received - including 201 from organisations, 382 from individuals and 638 from a campaign group.
We are in the process of finalising the strategy to take account of both the analysis of these consultation responses and the new statutory provisions which include the requirement, in determining the content of the strategy, to take account of a number contributing to improving outcomes in relation to a number of factors. This will take account of matters relating to:
- social, economic, environment, health and wellbeing outcomes, and
- an individual’s capacity to realise their human rights.
We are also committed to develop a Delivery Plan, informed in part by your responses, which will outline the actions that will be taken to achieve our vision and priorities from 2020 and build on the policies and enablers set out in this strategy.
The NTS2 sets out our vision for the next 20 years and was developed in collaboration with over 60 partner organisations around Scotland.
The global climate emergency and the role of transport in helping to deliver net-zero emissions by 2045 is a key priority (as well as the interim 75% reduction target by 2030), along with how transport can play its part in building a fairer society - including reducing child poverty.
The strategy redefines investment priorities, putting sustainable and public transport at the heart of decision-making.
The consultation period ran from 31 July to 23 October 2019.
Developing a strategy for all of Scotland
We've been developing the draft strategy with the help of groups in the third sector, passenger representatives, academic experts, business, transport operators and local government.
More than 6,500 people joined us at almost 100 engagement events or participated through surveys.
Protecting our climate and improving lives
Introducing the strategy, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity Michael Matheson said:
"I’m delighted to present to you our new draft National Transport Strategy (NTS2), which sets out an ambitious and compelling vision for our transport system for the next 20 years, one that protects our climate and improves lives.
"This draft strategy advocates a vision for Scotland’s transport system that creates great places – a sustainable, inclusive and accessible transport system which promotes prosperity, health and fairness for all of our citizens."
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Equality Impact Assessment
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Draft for Consultation - Child Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment
- Scotland’s Draft National Transport Strategy 2 - Citizens Panels - Executive Summary April 2019
- Scotland’s Draft National Transport Strategy 2 - Findings from Citizens Panels - April 2019
- NTS2 Policies/Enablers Collation and Assessment - Enablers Assessment Technical Report
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Strategic Environmental Assessment - Environmental Report
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Fairer Scotland Duty: Summary
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Islands Communities Assessment
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Review of 2006 National Transport Strategy Indicators
- Scenario Planning Process Report