Our vision is for a sustainable, inclusive, safe and accessible transport system helping deliver a healthier, fairer and more prosperous Scotland for communities, businesses and visitors.
The National Transport Strategy (NTS2) sets out an ambitious and compelling vision for Scotland’s transport system for the next 20 years. There are four priorities to support that vision.
- reduces inequalities
- takes climate action
- helps deliver inclusive economic growth
- improves our health and wellbeing
Read the National Transport Strategy (pdf) published on 5 February 2020.
A strategy for all of Scotland
Introducing the Strategy, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity Michael Matheson said:
"This Strategy advocates a vision for Scotland's transport system that will help create great places – a sustainable, inclusive, safe and accessible transport system, helping deliver a healthier, fairer and more prosperous Scotland for communities, businesses and visitors".
This Strategy is for all of Scotland, recognising the different needs of our cities, towns, remote and rural areas and islands. It considers why we travel and how those trips are made, by including walking, wheeling, cycling, and travelling by bus, train, ferry, car, lorry and aeroplane.
It is a Strategy for all users: those travelling to, from and within Scotland.
Engagement and consultation
The Strategy draws heavily on the latest evidence and was developed through a collaborative approach involving a wide range of partners. An extensive engagement exercise with individuals, businesses and third sector organisations was central to this work.
A consultation on the draft Strategy was carried out, with views invited from across Scotland. The responses played a key role in informing the content of the Strategy.
The Strategy was laid before the Scottish Parliament on 5 February 2020. We are now developing a Delivery Plan which will outline how we will deliver the vision and priorities of the Strategy.
- National Transport Strategy 2
- National Transport Strategy (NTS2) - Consultation Report
- Analysis of Consulation Responses to Scotland’s National Transport Strategy (NTS2) – Final Report, December 2019
- National Transport Strategy - Islands Communities Assessment
- National Transport Strategy - Fairer Scotland Duty: Assessment
- National Transport Strategy - Equality Impact Assessment
- National Transport Strategy (NTS2) - SEA Post Adoption Statement - January 2020
- National Transport Strategy - Child Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Review of 2006 National Transport Strategy Indicators
- Scenario Planning Process Report