Our vision is for a sustainable, inclusive and accessible transport system helping to deliver a healthier, fairer and more prosperous Scotland for communities, businesses and visitors.
A new National Transport Strategy for Scotland is now open for consultation.
The National Transport Strategy (NTS2) sets out our vision for the next 20 years and was developed in collaboration with over 60 partner organisations around Scotland.
The global climate emergency and the role of transport in helping to deliver net-zero emissions by 2045 is a key priority, along with how transport can play its part in building a fairer society - including reducing child poverty.
The strategy redefines investment priorities, putting sustainable and public transport at the heart of decision-making.
Developing a strategy for all of Scotland
We've been developing the draft strategy with the help of groups in the third sector, passenger representatives, academic experts, business, transport operators and local government.
More than 3,000 people joined us at more than 80 engagement events or participated through surveys.
Protecting our climate and improving lives
Introducing the strategy, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity Michael Matheson said:
"I’m delighted to present to you our new draft National Transport Strategy (NTS2), which sets out an ambitious and compelling vision for our transport system for the next 20 years, one that protects our climate and improves lives.
"This draft strategy advocates a vision for Scotland’s transport system that creates great places – a sustainable, inclusive and accessible transport system which promotes prosperity, health and fairness for all of our citizens."
The strategy is underpinned by four priorities and associated outcomes:
If you have any questions, get in touch with us at NTSReview@transport.gov.scot.
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Equality Impact Assessment
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Draft for Consultation - Child Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment
- Scotland’s Draft National Transport Strategy 2 - Citizens Panels - Executive Summary April 2019
- Scotland’s Draft National Transport Strategy 2 - Findings from Citizens Panels - April 2019
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Strategic Environmental Assessment - Environmental Report
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Islands Communities Assessment
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Review of 2006 National Transport Strategy Indicators
- NTS2 Policies/Enablers Collation and Assessment - Enablers Assessment Technical Report
- National Transport Strategy 2 - Fairer Scotland Duty: Summary
- Scenario Planning Process Report