Borders Railway Baseline Study - Final Report
Appendix G Business Survey
Borders Rail Baseline Study Business Survey
The Borders Railway will begin operation on the 6th September 2015. There will be regular train services between Tweedbank and Edinburgh, calling at new stations at Galashiels, Stow, Gorebridge, Newtongrange, Eskbank and Shawfair.
The Scottish Government is undertaking research to investigate the impacts of the Borders Railway on the communities in Midlothian and the Scottish Borders served by these new services. As part of this, it is important that a picture is built up of business conditions in these areas, before services commence.
This survey is aimed at businesses across the potential catchment area of the new line and aims to establish:
- background information about your business and its recent performance;
- awareness of the new rail line;
- whether the new line is expected to impact on future business performance;
- whether the line will impact on employment decisions;
- your employees’ current commuting and business travel patterns; and
- your business’s current access to suppliers and customers.
This survey should take no longer than 15 minutes to complete.
This exercise may be repeated in a number of years and compared with the results from the present day, allowing the impacts of the new line on business performance to be determined.
If you have any queries regarding the survey please contact:
Q1 What is the name of your business? _______________________________________________________
Q2 What is your role in the organisation?_____________________________________________________
Q3 What is the primary activity of your business?
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
- Mining and quarrying
- Electricity, Gas, Steam and air conditioning
- Water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities
- Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles
- Transport and storage
- Accommodation and food service activities
- Information and communication
- Financial and insurance activities
- Real estate activities
- Professional, scientific and technical activities
- Administrative and support service activities
- Public administration and defence; compulsory social security
- Human health and social work activities
- Arts, entertainment and recreation
- Other (please specify)_____________________
Q4 Please provide the postcode for the current location of your business ______________________________________________
Q5 Is this your principal office?
- Yes [go to Q7]
- No [go to Q6]
Q6 Please provide the postcode of your principal office _________________________________________
Q7 Do you have any other premises in Midlothian and the Scottish Borders and / or the rest of the UK?
[Tick all that apply]
Awareness of New Line
Q8 Were you aware of the scheduled opening of the Borders Railway before receiving notification of this survey?
Q9 Do you know what the closest station to your site on the Borders Railway will be?
- Yes Insert name of station __________________
- Not sure
Thinking about the current site of your business:
Q10 How long has your business been operating at this location?
- Less than 1 year (Go to Q11)
- 1 3 years (Go to Q11)
- 3 – 5 years (Go to Q11)
- 6 – 10 years (Go to Q11)
- More than 10 years (Go to Q13)
- Don’t know (Go to Q13)
Q11 Which of the following best describes your organisation’s situation with respect to this site?:[Tick one]
- Relocated from elsewhere – please specify where and when ___________________
- This location was opened up as part of a business expansion
- Set up a new business at this location
Q12 Was the announcement regarding the opening of the Borders Railway a factor in your decision to begin operating in this area?
- Yes, this was the main factor in locating the business here
- Yes, this was one of a number of important factors in locating the business here
- Yes, this was a fairly minor factor in locating the business here
- No, this was not a factor in locating the business here
- Don’t know
|Higher quality premises|
|Expanding / thriving local area|
|Pleasant area to work in|
|Close to suppliers|
|High demand in the local area|
|Lack of competition in local area|
|Proximity to customer markets|
|Low labour costs|
|Wide labour catchment|
|Skilled / experienced local labour force|
|Good road links to the site|
|Good public transport links to the site|
|Easy to park / deliver|
|Receive state incentives / assistance|
|Other (please specify)_____________|
Q14 What would you say is the main advantage of operating in the area?
Q15 What would you say is the main disadvantage of operating in the area?
Q16 Do you have any plans to move from, expand or contract at this site?
- No, stay the same as at present
- Yes, expand operations on this site
- Yes, contract operations on this site
- Yes, relocate – please specify where ____________________________
- Prefer not to say
- Don’t know
|Temporary / Seasonal|
|Other (please specify)____________|
Q19 Do your staff typically travel in the course of work (e.g. to meetings or to make deliveries)?
- Yes (go to Q20)
- No (go to Q22)
|Yes/no||Per Week||Per Month|
Q21 What is the main mode of travel used by your employees in the course of work (business travel)? Please provide an approximate percentage by mode with answers summing to 100%.
Markets Served and Suppliers
Q22 In terms of your outputs, which geographical markets do you currently serve from this location? Please provide an approximate percentage by area with answers summing to 100%.
Q23 Where are your main competitors currently located? Please provide an approximate percentage by area with answers summing to 100%.
Q24 Where are your suppliers currently located? Please provide an approximate percentage by area with answers summing to 100%.
Recent Business Conditions
Q25 What is your level of satisfaction with current business trading conditions?
Q26 What has influenced recent business conditions? Please indicate yes/no
What would you say is the main factor which has influenced recent business conditions?____________________
Q27 How easy or otherwise is it for you to recruit suitable staff?
Q28 Over the last three years, have your business employment levels
Q29 How has the level of investment in your business changed compared to the previous financial year at your current site?
Q30 Was this change influenced in any way by the forthcoming opening of the Borders Railway?
- Influenced Significantly
- Influenced slightly
- No influence
Q31 Approximately what was your annual turnover in the last financial year at your current site?
- Less than £50k
- £50k £100k
- £100k £250k
- £250k £500k
- £500k £1 million
- £1 million £5 million
- Over £5 million
- Don’t know / rather not say
Q32 Has your business’s current annual turnover changed compared to two years ago?
- Yes (Go to Q33)
- No (Go to Q34)
|by less than 5 per cent||by 59 per cent||by 1024 per cent||by 2549 per cent||by 50 per cent or more|
|It has increased|
|It has decreased|
Anticipated Impact of Borders Railway
|Strongly Agree||Agree||Neither agree nor disagree||Disagree||Strongly disagree||Don’t know / Can’t say|
|The Borders Railway will lead to an increase in our turnover|
|Having access to Borders Railway will mean more reliable staff travel times|
|The Borders Railway will make it easier for us to recruit staff|
|The Borders Railway will allow us to recruit better skilled staff|
|The Borders Railway will make it more difficult to retain staff|
|When the Borders Railway is open we will be able to expand our customer base|
|Having access to the Borders Railway will mean we will increasingly use suppliers from different areas|
|We will rely less on local customers when the Borders Railway opens|
|We will supply our products/services to a wider area due to the Borders Railway|
|When the Borders Railway opens we will need to take on more staff|
|High Positive Impact
|Medium Positive Impact
|Low Positive Impact
|Low Negative Impact
(1% to 5%)
|Medium Negative Impact
(6% to 10%)
|High Negative Impact
|Turnover / Customer Base|