Rail franchise performance meeting minutes - 19 August 2021


  • Allan Anderson (AA) Transport Scotland
  • Oi Hang Chu (OHC) Transport Scotland
  • Mark Henderson (MH) Transport Scotland
  • Jack Wardlaw (JW) Transport Scotland
  • Katie Sutton (KS) Transport Scotland
  • Ross Clark (RC) Transport Scotland
  • Phil Dargue (PD) Winder Phillips
  • Sam Price (SP) ScotRail
  • Nicola Dawson (ND) ScotRail
  • Phil Campbell (PC) ScotRail
  • Mark O’Mailley (MoM) ScotRail

Welcome and Introductions

AA welcomed all attendees to the meeting.

Minutes of Last Meeting - 22 July 2021

Minutes from last meeting all agreed and taken as read by both TS/SR.

Actions From Previous Meeting - 22 July 2021

AA confirmed that all actions from previous meeting were completed.

In-depth Discussion - Customer Experience - COVID-19 Restrictions

PC and MoM talked through customer experience - COVID-19 restrictions presentation.

PC advised key points were:

  • Passenger volumes will increase but anticipate remaining lower than pre Covid levels
  • Face coverings to currently remain on public transport in Scotland
  • Face coverings within the workplace will remain where there are no other measures available
  • Staff will continue to advise and support the wearing of face coverings
  • We must maintain a state of readiness to restore or adapt controls
  • Hand hygiene, surface cleaning and good ventilation continues
  • Working from home with a move to hybrid working

PC highlighted key documents:

  • Customer Operations grades station risk assessments
  • Gateline risk assessment
  • On Train (retailing) risk assessment
  • Station specific recovery plans

MoM reported that Transport Focus recently undertook a rail landscape survey with ScotRail achieving 87% overall satisfaction, the highest level of satisfaction of the regional groups of TOCs. Also, top performing in their sector, out-performed Merseyrail who achieved 85%. Third best performing overall with Chiltern at first with 95% and East Midlands Railway second with 88%. Scotland were the top performing region, Scotland achieved 85% CSAT, highest of any region, compared to Wales and Southern who received 79%.

PC confirmed that there are key areas of focus for coming out of the restrictions:

  • Station/on-train flows - joining & alighting
  • Passengers comms - stations
  • Passengers comms - on-train
  • Passenger Assistance
  • Toilets, seating & waiting areas
  • Station/on-train hygiene & cleaning
  • Ticketing and revenue protection
  • Retail
  • Passenger safety & assists
  • Staff safety & comms
  • Lift & escalators


PC verified that category 1 and 2 stations are critical for dispatch, operational teams booking on/off & having personal needs breaks, sub-surface stations and footfall will be maintained. Category 3 stations will remain operational only via booked staff shifts with the caveat staff being redeployed to category 1 and 2 sites if required. Staff at all stations will continue enhanced cleaning programme, all signage, assets, flows and support being updated. In addition:

  • Some stations have one-way systems/queue systems advising customers on safest flow which will remain in operation where there is a performance benefit for retailing or perturbed working. Concourse floor markings will be retained where appropriate.
  • We will continue to maintain signs to encourage passengers to stand well clear and allow passengers off services.
  • Toilet provisions has and will continue to be delivered as this is vital to upkeep personal hygiene.
  • Waiting rooms and shelters will be reinstated where enhanced cleaning can be provided.
  • Enhanced cleaning regime for all toilets and waiting areas.

On train/gates

PC confirmed that all staff will be trained/briefed on how to carry out on train retailing, passenger assist and safety duties. Safe zones will be removed from 23 August. Ticket examiners safe zones will remain at the rear of the cab should the service become over-crowded. Ticket examiners will continue with TPC cleaning duties. Risk assessments have been agreed by the staff.


PC advised the Comms plan has been updated following Government guidance changes:

  • Clear, supportive communication to our passengers so they understand the measures ASR have in place for both their staff and passengers
  • Posters and signage for face masks will be maintained
  • 5 rules of travel poster to be removed
  • Train announcements will be reviewed and updated or removed
  • Stations announcements/CIS have clear and concise messaging on personal responsibility

Engagement Pillars

Stage 1

Dialogue with everyone - COVID-19 is unprecedented and advice can change, everyone can feel threatened or overwhelmed so talk to our people, there is nothing more important than our teams and customers.

Stage 2

Listen & involve - Our people know this business the best, so seek guidance from them. They know what works and what doesn’t, you are there to support them and make things easy, if we do this our customer wins.

Stage 3

Taking Ownership - We are all impacted by COVID-19 but taking ownership of engaging, supporting and solving issues for our people will make a difference to them and you.

Stage 4

A safe place to discuss - Anyone who needs support should have it in a safe environment, you are a leader, be a visible one. Any issues escalate, please do not sit on the problem, flag it and we fix it.

Review of EMA Reporting Pack

AA requested further information regarding Queen Street HL adoption to SP. SP will seek further information on the adopters.

AA enquired about insourcing TVM maintenance as mentioned on page 33. SP confirmed that he will ask for an update.

Committed Obligations Review

No items to highlight.

Franchise Performance Report - Any Matters Arising

No matters were discussed.

Issues of the Moment

No issues of the moment highlighted.


AA enquired about a COP26 presentation for the next meeting. ND confirmed that Andy Miller would be coming to present at the next meeting.

AA suggested that they will need to identify help with the TS admin side as JW and LS will be taken up different roles when the next meeting comes. SP suggested that SR staff could possibly help out short term at the next meeting.

Published Date 3 Sep 2021 Type Mode of transport Topic