On 7 April 2017, Transport Scotland announced £3m funding for a seventh Scottish Green Bus Fund.
The aim of the fund is to further support the wider roll out of low carbon buses across Scotland and builds on the success of previous rounds of the Scottish Green Bus Fund.
Bids can be made to the Scottish Green Bus Fund 7 for a grant to help buy new Low Carbon Emission Buses (LCEBs) – both double decker and single decker buses, including midibuses (but not minibuses).
- The Scottish Green Bus Fund 7 will operate as a Challenge Fund with a fixed budget of around £3 million in the financial year 2017-2018
- Grants will be offered to successful bidders for up to 80% of the price differential between a LCV and its diesel equivalent
- No more than £1m will be offered to any one bidder (though joint bids can be submitted for more than £1m)
- Bus companies should bear in mind that the £1m maximum applies collectively across all their subsidiary companies.
Who Can Apply?
Bids are invited from:
- Bus Operators (including Community transport operators)
- Local Authorities (LAs)
- Regional Transport Partnerships (RTPs)
- Companies leasing/renting LCVs to the above bodies in Scotland.
Process – Key Dates
- Bidders will have until 30 June 2017 to put together bids with bus manufacturers
- The Bidding Document details how the fund will operate and should be read carefully before submitting a bid
- Bus Operators and Companies leasing/renting LCVs should use the Bidding Proforma to make their bid
- Local authorities and Regional Transport Partnerships should use this Bidding Proforma to make their bid
- Guidance for Bus Manufacturers is available see Certification of Dedicated Gas Buses as Low Carbon Vehicles
- Successful applicants will be announced in by the end of July 2017
- Successful bidders will be required to place ALL orders with bus manufacturers no later than 25 August 2017. Grant will only be paid on bus manufacturers’ confirmation of orders placed by this date
- We suggest LAs and RTPs consider initiating any tendering exercises for proposed vehicles at the same time as preparing their bid. They will then be best placed to proceed should their bid be successful.
Register of Interest
In order to gauge the level of interest in the Scottish Green Bus Fund 7, it would be helpful if those interested in making a bid register their interest by providing the Company/Local Authority/RTP name, number of buses intending to bid for and contact details to: email@example.com
Closing Date for Bids
Completed Bidding Proforma should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 on Friday 30 June 2017.
EU State Aid Implications
In order to be able to pay grant of up to 80%, the Scottish Government is seeking approval for the scheme as a state aid from the European Commission. Confirmation of grants will be subject to this approval being received.
Any enquiries about the scheme should be emailed to Scottish_Green_Bus_Fund@transport.gov.scot or by telephone to 0131 244 0866 or 7760.
The aim of the Scottish Green Bus Fund is to help support and hasten the introduction of new low carbon buses across Scotland.
Support from the Fund, through 6 rounds of the Scottish Green Bus Fund, has helped secure purchase of 315 new low carbon emission buses.