We assess the impact of each road improvement scheme and compare conditions after the schemes have opened with predictions made during their design and development. The main areas we evaluate include:
- Accessibility and social inclusion
- Cost to government
- Scheme objectives
The evaluation is carried out usually three years after scheme opening. For some schemes we also carry out an evaluation soon after scheme opening.
We closely monitor the results of the evaluation to ensure that the schemes we design and develop meet the needs of Scotland’s trunk road users.
The aims of the project evaluation process for trunk roads are set out in the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), Volume 5, SH 1/97 'Traffic and Economic Assessment of Road Schemes in Scotland' and include:
- Satisfying our demands for good management and public accountability
- Identifying the strengths and weaknesses in our appraisal process
- Monitoring and assessing the predictive modelling tools we use
- Helping to assess compensation claims under Part 1 of the Land Compensation (Scotland) Act 1973.
Scottish Trunk Road Infrastructure Project Evaluation (STRIPE)
STRIPE is a framework for evaluation of road schemes costing over five million pounds and considers the following core questions:
- Were the scheme’s Transport Planning Objectives achieved and benefits realised?
- Were the outturn impacts of the project as forecast?
- How well was the project implemented?
- What were the impacts on established policy directives?
- What lessons can we learn to improve decision making?
STRIPE Guidance is aimed at those involved with the development and evaluation of such schemes – the Guidance and supporting Appendix (toolkit) can be downloaded from the links below.
View STRIPE Guidance (PDF 1.4 MB)
View STRIPE Guidance Appendix A (PDF 140 KB)
What schemes have been reported?
Transport Scotland Scottish Trunk Road Infrastructure Project Evaluations:
A68(T) Dalkeith Bypass
A75(T) Cairntop to Barlae
A77(T) Glen App
A77(T) Park End to Bennane
A876(T) Clackmannanshire Bridge
A9(T) Ballinluig Junction Improvement
A9(T) Helmsdale Phase 2
A96(T) Fochabers to Mosstodloch
M74 Completion Scheme
M80(T) Stepps to Haggs
Transport Scotland Trunk Road Project Evaluations:
We will publish the evaluation reports on a regular basis, and will report on the road schemes in the Motorway and Trunk Road Programme (PDF, 26 KB)
Where can I find out more?
If you have any queries about our project evaluation process, please email us at LATIS@transportscotland.gsi.gov.uk.
or contact us at the following address:
Technical Analysis Branch
Major Transport Infrastructure Projects Directorate
58 Port Dundas Road